Last week, we talked about how to choose and use the right keywords for your Mavatar Carts and blog posts, and this week we’ll be discussing photos! Choosing the right photo might seem simple enough, but there’s more to it than you know. Read on to find out how to choose photos for your blog and Mavatar Carts, as well as how to make them optimized for search engines.
Taking the Best Photo
1. It’s all about lighting. This is the number one factor for taking fabulous photos for your blog. The more natural light, the better. If you are looking to invest in your blog, consider studio lights that bring plenty of white light to a space without washing you out. Lighting is also extremely important when choosing the photo for your Mavatar Cart, so take it into consideration even when the photo is not your own.
2. Learn to focus. If you are working with a DSLR, mastering the art of focus is essential. For those sticking with a device like iPhone or iPad, do your best to focus when taking the photo so there’s less doctoring of the photo, thus retaining the resolution. Try choosing higher resolution photos for your Mavatar Cart, as they will be more appealing to the users and your audience.
3. Relax your body. Love to post OOTDs? Relax your body and smile. We’re moving away from the big open-mouth smiles and overly-posed photos. We’re addicted to the ease of Olivia Lopez’s blog, Lust For Life, which has a natural chic vibe without the contrived poses.
4. Consider your background. The snapshot of a fashion blogger’s OOTD in front of a brick wall has been done. Shake things up by looking for new backgrounds in your area. Headed to a different neighborhood for lunch? Dress the part and take your camera because new interesting backdrops can lurk in the most unlikely places.
5. Juxtapose your accessories. If you take photos of your accessories or beauty products, don’t rely on showcasing them alone. Give them instant Insta-worthy appeal by mixing up the shot with a vase of flowers, succulents outside, a cup of coffee or a milkshake. People love pretty things paired together, so think outside of the box and don’t take a photo of your new NARS lipstick standing alone.
Optimizing Your Photos for Search Engines
And you thought SEO was only for keywords! In fact, search engines also take photos in consideration, so it’s important that they are optimized. Doing this is easy with alt text, or alternative text for images. This is essentially what the image is called when someone saves or downloads it, and search engines see this is just another keywords. All you have to do is change your image name on your computer before uploading it to your blog or Mavatar!
Since you already know how to use those, figuring out alt text is easy! Think of how you would describe the image to someone who wasn’t looking at it–what do you see? In addition, include the keyword you’ve chosen for your blog, and the name of your blog. If this is an image for a Mavatar Cart, include the word ‘Mavatar’ as well. Instead of spaces, make sure to use dashes: -.
So if you look at the above image, you see that it’s a photo of street style fashion, the article is about blog photo tips, and our blog is Mavatar. Therefore, when you try to save the image, you’ll see that the name is “street-style-fashion-blog-photo-tips-mavatar.”
Mavatar Carts Photo Tips
- Never, ever leave your Mavatar Cart photo blank. Not only does this not look attractive to users, but search engines will have less chance of finding it.
- Make sure that your photo matches the rest of your Cart.
- Don’t forget to use alt text.
- Find photos that high quality–street style photos always make the best Cart covers!
- You can also use one of the products in your Cart as the photo–simply go to the product page, save the photo, change the alt text and upload!
Next week, read Editor Tips to use Mavatar widgets on your blog and get higher commission!