Fitness trends come and go, but no matter what we’re doing we want to look good. Our Cart has plenty of workout pieces that go from studio to street and all of the extras you need to leave the gym refreshed.
1. Tie-dyed and fun prints. It’s all about bold prints for workout gear right now. Ditch the all-black-everything in favor of prints that make a big impression. The great thing about these prints is they’re flattering thanks to small and medium-sized prints. If you feel intimidated by the prints, go for ombre details on pants which are dark and solid on top and fade towards the ankles.
2. Bold colors. Let everyone see you’ve arrived with bright colors. Mega bright hues like green, yellow and cobalt for warm-up tops, long-sleeved T-shirts and hoodies are great for working out. Whether you’re getting up early in the morning for a run or at yoga with your girlfriends on Sunday afternoon, a wardrobe of bright colors for exercise gear can really set the tone.
3. Long-sleeved wick-away T-shirts. These are a must for anyone who stays active regularly. Long-sleeved T-shirts offer compression in the back and bodice that offer support for your body as you work out. The latest have fabrics that wick away sweat so you’re relatively cool post-workout.
4. Invest in dry shampoo. If you plan on going out after and want to feel fresh, you need to invest in a dry shampoo. Whether it’s a spray or powder, add just a little at the hairline and at the roots. Proceed to “wash” the hair but rubbing it into the roots and then comb through hair with a wide-tooth comb. A spray is best for all hair colors because it reduces the chance of a white finish at the roots.
5. Snag a BB cream or tinted moisturizer. Use a cleansing oil or makeup wipe to remove dirt and sweat from your face post-workout. If you’re headed somewhere after use a BB cream or tinted moisturizer to even out your skin tone.
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner we’re brainstorming outfit ideas whether it’s for a date night or hanging out with your gal-pals for Galentine’s!
A night on the town. Nothing says Valentine’s Day like a red dress and this one isn’t too revealing or over-the-top making it perfect for any “style” of date. The BCBG MAX AZRIA Kyndal Asymmetrical Dress has long sleeves and an asymmetrical hemline that’s packed with movement. Add nude mules like the new Kendall + Kylie Winged Mule Slide Sandal and a Y-necklace like the Kate Spade Heart and Arrow Necklace. Play up the drama of this look with a deep berry lip like NARS Audacious Lipstick in Jeanne.
A chic brunch look. If Galentine’s Day has you heading to brunch with your squad, go for a casual chic look. This Whistles Clark Knit Top is a great transition piece to have in your wardrobe. Add skinny jeans like the Hudson Faded Skinny Jeans in Alabaster. Light-colored boots are another essential during transition weather and we love the Paul Green Dory Textured Mid-Heel Booties. Add a whimsical ring like the Alex and Ani Lovestruck Arrow Wrap Ring and you’re good to go.
A wearable romantic look. Romance = lace, right? But a frou-frou dress or skirt can be fussy to wear. Instead try a lace blouse like the Aqua Embroidered Mesh Crop Top in blush. Add jeans or slim slacks to the look along with heels for a look that works for grabbing a drink or a swanky dinner out with your sweetheart. Another great addition are the Jennifer Zuener Mia Heart Cuffs, which work year round but add nice sparkle for Valentine’s Day. Want to really channel the day of love? The Kate Spade Heart & Arrow Stud Earrings are sure to make Cupid strike!
Who doesn’t want something sparkly and beautiful on Valentine’s Day? Our latest Cart is packed with glitzy jewels that are perfect for every day or standout for a special event. The key is to give something that wows her personal style.
For the showstopper. Valentine’s Day is a great occasion to give jewelry that wows. We love something that borders over-the-top for that extra special moment when she opens the gift. Those who love color will adore the Bloomingdale’s Multi Sapphire and Tsavorite Eternity Band. The fine pave jewels light up with an array of rainbow colors that’s sure to catch everyone’s attention. The bold colors are a great statement piece for those who wear neutral hues, but works equally well for women who love cocktail rings and statement rings. Looking for something with the same impact sans color? The Bloomingdale’s Diamond Statement Ring is a whimsical take on the cocktail ring with diamonds and rose gold.
A delicate shine. For some, less is more. Not everyone wants mega bling, which is why our Cart has plenty of subtle yet majorly shiny pieces. The Bloomingdale’s Diamond Y Necklace is sure to impress. The Y necklace is a major jewelry trend right now, but if you review jewelry history you’ll see it’s a style that always makes its way back into fashion. Wear it tucked into a button-up top or over a sheath dress with a blazer. It’s one of those go-anywhere pieces that you’ll wear all of the time. Another simple piece that work for daily wear are the Zoe Chicco 14K Yellow Gold Diamond Trio Stud Earrings. They’re a little something more than plain studs, but are still appropriate for any workplace setting.
PARIS, FRANCE – MARCH 06: Chiara Ferragni in the streets of Paris during the Paris Fashion Week on March 6, 2015 in Paris, France. (Photo by Timur Emek/Getty Images)
Winter is on and you may be in the market for a new jacket or coat. The winter sales are going strong which means all the coats and jackets on sale are up to a whopping 70% off. There a lot of designer and contemporary designers in this Cart, so these are quality pieces you’re going to wear for years to come. There’s everything in here from lightweight jackets for those in comfortable climates, but also lined full-on coats that are sure to keep your warm even if you’re up North. Look for details like hardware, funnel collars and belted waists for those extra touches that make you look pulled together as you fight the cold weather.
1. A purse…for your smartphone. How many times do you pop in somewhere and don’t need your bag, but you do need your phone and ID? Tons of times! Tory Burch is implementing the smartphone purse. Throw it in your larger bag then take it when you’re on the go. We love the Tory Burch Crossbody Marion Smartphone Chain. A bold color like canary yellow or siren red adds some spunk to any look.
2. Go for the fringe. Spring continues the throwback to ’70s trends including the fringe trend. Wearing it on accessories is the easiest way to sport fringe, so try it on a bag or boots. We love the Tory Burch Woven Fringe Shoulder Bag. We dig this trend because it’s perfect for adding texture to any neutral look.
3. Get a sleek backpack. The backpack has evolved into a staple accessory. It’s no longer sporty or only done in nylon. Go for a tumbled or pebbled leather in a backpack silhouette, which has a fresh look compared to a big tote that’s difficult to lug around while traveling or walking in the city. We love the Tory Burch Serif T Backpack. Wear it to work and on the weekend, which makes it a fabulous buy.
4. Watercolor prints. It’s a print that’s gaining traction because of the feminine heir it gives any outfit. Watercolor prints in pastel or bright colors are wearable for spring and work especially well on bags. We love the Tory Burch Kerrington Square Tote. The rainbow bright colors cheer up any look even during winter or the rainy spring days.
5. Bag charms. Dress up your tote or satchel with bag charms. A colorful little trinket or tassel really dresses up a bag, especially if you stick to a neutral purse in camel, gray or navy. We love the Tory Burch Logo Heart Key Fob.
Braving the cold right now means focusing on layering. The best way to do it is with a vest. The winter sales have us clamoring to fill our closets with at least a couple of new vests. This Cart is packed with vests up to a whopping 70% off. Many of these are designer and contemporary designer pieces that will do your wardrobe well for years to come.
1. Choose the right vest for the weather. Not all vests work for all weather and that means choosing your vest wisely. If you have to wear your coat for the day, you want a lightweight vest that sits close to the body to prevent bulk. Look for something with an asymmetrical neckline or hemline that creates dimension and sits flat under your coat. When wearing a coat, a knit vest works best because it sits close to your figure and doesn’t create a lumpy look even if you’re heavily layered underneath.
2. If your vest is the focal point, go all out. Choose a nubby knit or faux fur vest. Go for a skinny pant or legging in denim, twill or a leather-like fabric for a cool look. It’s all about mixing textures, which is a godsend for those of us married to wearing all-black. The chubbier the vest, the more slim you should go on bottom. It’s all about proportions.
3. Try something other than black. Because wearing all-black feels so safe for many, try a vest in another hue. Even a bright or print vest is surprisingly easy to wear when you anchor the look with all-black. If you want a neutral hue, go for camel, ivory or light gray. You can even kick things up a notch with a colorblock vest or a vest with mixed fabrics like knit and wool or leather and ribbed cotton.
The reality is Valentine’s Day doesn’t fall too far after Christmas. You want to say you care, but you don’t want to break the bank either, which is why we’ve rounded up some fabulous ways to spend the day of love without going overboard. These affordable ideas for Valentine’s Day guarantee quality time with those you love.
1. Snuggle up and watch a movie. This date works for a couple or a family. Snuggle up with your loved ones and watch a movie (or movies) you all enjoy. It can be a horror flick, comedy or one of the latest Oscar nominees for an afternoon of fun that you can chat about after. Set up an assembly line of make-your-own pizzas or wraps, which is easy on the wallet too.
2. Go for a picnic. Lucky enough to live where there’s outdoor-friendly weather right now? Pack up some gourmet meats, cheeses and crackers from the grocery store, along with a bottle of wine or sparkling water and head to the park for a picnic. Even those who are active seldom spend downtime outdoors. Take a moment to take in the scenery and don’t forget to capture the moment with a pic!
3. Host a Galentine’s beauty day in. Galentine’s is for the gals to get together. If you have a few girlfriends with free time, consider hosting a beauty day in with sheet masks and nail stations where everyone can give themselves a few DIY treatments. Thrown on a reality show or rom-com, hand everyone a glass of champagne and you’re set for a fun day you’ll all remember.
4. Have a bake-off! Inspired by The Great British Baking Show (if you haven’t checked it out on Netflix, you must!), have a bake-off. This is great for groups of couples or families. Break into teams and have some friendly competition that will end with delicious treats for all.
Do you have oily skin? Try a clay mask. A clay mask draws out impurities. A clay mask dries completely while drying out the skin and drawing out dirt and oils from the pores. For those dealing with whiteheads, blackheads and acne, a clay mask is an essential for your skincare. Use it at least once a week. Those with very oily skin can stand a clay mask twice a week without drying out the skin. Our pick: Kiehl’s Rare Earth Deep Poor Cleansing Masque
Are you looking for an anti-aging mask? Enzymes are chemical exfoliators which smooth skin and even skin tone. If you are looking for anti-aging elements, an enzyme mask is what you need. An enzyme mask should be used once a week. Depending on how sensitive your skin is will determine which enzyme mask is right for you. One thing to remember is to refrain from leaving any enzyme mask on the skin for too long. If the product says leave on for five minutes, abide by those directions or you run the risk of redness. Our pick: Amore Pacific Treatment Enzyme Peel
Are you looking for serious hydration? Overnight masks are all the rage and for good reason. They offer the hydration most of us are looking for from a basic moisturizer. If you want hydration that will last throughout the next day, go for an overnight mask that plumps the skin and smooth things out. If you have a big event the next day, an overnight moisturizer is a brilliant way to make the skin look in tip-top shape for makeup. Our pick: Sulwhasoo Overnight Vitalizing Mask
Do you want to fade dark spots or scars? If you’re looking to reduce dark spots or scars, an exfoliating mask is ideal. Gentle, regular exfoliation can drastically reduce dark spots and scars on the face. Manual exfoliators smooth the skin, even the skin tone and keep skin in balance. Our pick: Kiehl’s Clearly Corrective Skin Brightening Exfoliator
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and that means checking out the latest scents. These scents are romantic, versatile and work for a variety of age groups.
Soft romantic scents. These are scents that work for day and any age or lifestyle. Scents like AERIN Lilac Pant have gentle notes of lilac and amber for a romantic feel that’s suitable for every occasion. This is one of our favorite takes on lilac because the smell is pure with zero hints of alcohol. This scent makes a great pick for moms, grandmas or anyone who likes a subtle scent.
Bright romantic scents. For a bright take on a romantic scent choose Marc Jacobs Daisy scents. These bright fragrances bring a sunny warm feeling to the day, making them ideal for regular use. Notes like white woods, gardenia and ruby red grapefruit make for a feminine scent that has an airy vibe. This is a great choice for teens and anyone looking for an every day scent.
Sweet romantic scents. Add a little sweetness to the mix with a sultry take on the romantic scent. We love the classic Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb, which has become a favorite for many. The basenotes of patchouli and centifloral rose are peppered with jasmine and bergamot for a sweet fragrance that isn’t overbearing. For those who normally love oriental scents and spicy perfumes, Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb is a good romantic scent to try. If you already wear perfume and want to shake up your scents, this is a great one to try.
Sultry bold scents. Want to make a bold impression? Tom Ford Black Orchid is where it’s at. This is one of those ultra sexy fragrances that’s sure to make people stop you to ask, “What are you wearing?” Basenotes of vetiver, incense and vanilla create a gorgeous fragrance that’s going to wow anyone you walk by. While it’s a heavy scent for day, it is one of the best scents for an evening event or cold weather.
Transition season has arrived and that means kids may have grown out of the easy essentials for winter-to-spring. For girls, take a hint from the colors of the year rose quartz and serenity for a soft color palette that looks whimsical for spring. Look for floral prints, heathered colors and denim for a well-rounded wardrobe.
A denim jacket. A denim jacket is easy because the latest lightweight versions are easy for her to stow away in her backpack or overnight bag. Look for light denim washes or a subtle acid wash for a denim jacket that works with everything in your wardrobe. The latest styles have fun patches or pins she can play with depending on the look she wants that day.
Comfy leggings. There’s nothing that lets her run, jump and live like comfy leggings. Look for leggings with a banded waist, which stays put no matter what she’s up to. Make the leggings look cool by choosing cute prints, which work with everything from sweaters during cooler weather to T-shirts once warm weather rolls in.
A rain coat. Before you know it the beginning of April showers will be here. With the right layering, a rain coat can be enough for spring’s cold weather. Some rain coats have removable hoods, which means she can wear it more often. A rain coat with pockets is perfect for her to stash her iPod or anything else she needs within arm’s reach.
Overalls. Overalls are in and they’re a great versatile piece for any girl’s wardrobe. Light denim washes are perfect for spring and work well for layering with long-sleeved T-shirts and a hoodie or jacket on top. It’s comfortable for everything on her agenda.
Slip-on shoes. Skip the socks for spring and go for slip-on shoes that are easy for her to put on and go. Lilac, pale blue and soft metallic hues like dusty gold for a polished look that finishes off any casual look.
Photo: Business Journal Photographer; Vicki Thompson
Our stylish CEO & co-founder Susan Akbarpour, chose the best ways to freshen up her look for the new year in this photoshoot for her interview with Scott Ard, the Editor in Chief at in Silicon Valley Biz Journal . This busy working mom knows how to look pulled-together when you have a million things on your plate. In the article Akbarpour who explains how Mavatar helps to monetize any type of content by individuals and entities at a click of a button, showcases this state of the art technology, publishing her own Mavatar shopping Cart! As part of the “Cart for CauseTM ” corporate social responsibility program, all Mavatar’s proceeds from this Cart will go to The Center for Investigative Reporting and the PARS Equality Center, two of her favorites non-profit organizations.
Here you can learn how she gets a polished look on the go:
1. Grab a neutral lip color. Skip the fuss of high maintenance lip color in lieu of a neutral lip that’s easy to wear on the go. The beauty of a neutral pink-brown lip is it fades in a more flattering way than a bold lip. Our pick: Sisley-Paris Phyto-Levres Perfect Lip Liner in Tea Rose
2. Don a few delicate jewels. A busy lifestyle means a lot of basic pieces that are versatile for every occasion. Dress it up in an easy way with a delicate gem stone necklace or bracelet. The colors of the year rose quartz and serenity (a soft blue) are perfect for gem stones necklace that add gentle color to neutral pieces in your wardrobe. Our pick: Meira T 14K Rose Gold Labradorite Bead Bracelet
3. Wearables that make life easier. Our CEO understands how to maximize tech for everything on her agenda. Wearables are perfect for the modern woman that’s looking to make the most of her time. Synced with your phone and laptop, the world is yours and you’ll make every appointment on time. Our pick: Apple Watch Sport
4. Crisp tops that layer well. Versatile tops are the working mom’s best friend. Look for neutral colors, chic details and flattering silhouettes that work well under a cardigan or blazer, depending on where the day takes you. Our pick: Derek Lam 10 Crosby Sleeveless Cotton Button-Front Shirt
5. Go-to pants. Our CEO knows the value of pants you’ll wear for years to come and some of her faves are from Brunello Cucinelli. The fabric is timeless, rolls well for traveling and looks great dressed up or dressed down. Our pick: Bruno Cucinelli Seamed Zip-Cuff Leggings
Taking care of your skin has nothing to do with gender — it has to do with how long you want to look fabulous! Nearly every mainstream beauty company now has a line that caters to men. The best skincare for men is simple and to the point, but don’t get hung up on packaging. Choose any product that works for your skin. If you’re a guy who wants the skinny on how and why skincare matters, this is for you. It isn’t as complicated as you may think.
Cleansing. Cleansing the skin regularly with a non-drying cleanser is vital for keeping moisture in the skin. More moisture = less wrinkles. Skip bar soaps, which are packed with glycerin and other skin drying properties. Go for a gel cleanser which works for all skin types. A simple rise of the face with water in the morning is fine, so keep the gel cleanser in your shower so you’ll remember to lather up your face.
Moisturizer. Men’s moisturizers usually pack a bit more moisture than those formulated for women because men have thicker skin. Go for a simple moisturizer and apply it after your quick rinse in the morning and before you go to bed at night. Most moisturizers are locking in the moisture your skin already has. Moisturizers labeled overnight, intense, night creams are formulated to release moisture throughout the night and penetrate deeper than conventional moisturizers.
Exfoliators. What does an exfoliator do? It removes the dead skin and improves skin texture. If you deal with dark spots or acne scars, exfoliators are the best way to treat those areas over time. Don’t expect the spot or scar to disappear overnight, but with regularly exfoliating 1-3 times a week, you will see an improvement. Choosing how often you exfoliate depends on how your skin responds to manual exfoliators. Start with once a week and never go beyond 3 times a week, which can cause skin to overproduce oil.
It isn’t just one color of the year for 2016. There are two colors of the year: rose quartz and serenity, which is a soft blue. These pastel tones are set to shake up 2016 with a softer feel than the oxblood and green of years past. But how is the color of the year chosen?
It isn’t only Pantone that has a say in choosing the color of the year. It’s actually a team of color and design professionals that vote on the colors of the year after workshops of “ChromaZones.” In these workshops, designers discuss the strongest colors to reflect the times in which we’re living and narrow it down to 64 colors, which are put into 16 categories based on geographical region. Participants then vote until they narrow it down to a single color (usually). This year, two colors were selected to represent balance and the shift in gender fluidity with both rose quartz and serenity both taking their place for the It colors for 2016.
We’re fans of these gentle hues because you can take them totally feminine with lightweight fabrics and pair them with white or pale gray. But they’re equally fabulous when anchored by serious neutrals like navy, dark gray or even black. Fashion people know the “no white after Labor Day” rule hasn’t applied in years as designers and brands favor winter whites, ecru and cream for luxe pieces to snuggle up in and keep warm. With rose quartz and serenity entering the mix it looks like we’re moving further away from color rules that connect to the weather outside.
So what do you wear with rose quartz or serenity? Take a note from the folks at Pantone with this array of colors that go well with colors of the year:
ROSE QUARTZ & SERENITY COLOR PAIRINGS
Whether in soft or hard surface material, the pairing of Rose Quartz and Serenity brings calm and relaxation. Appealing in all finishes, matte, metallic and glossy, the engaging combo joins easily with other mid-tones including greens and purples, rich browns, and all shades of yellow and pink. Add in silver or hot brights for more splash and sparkle.
1. Head-to-toe sequins. Shimmer and shine for your special event like Rose Huntington-Whiteley or Julianne Moore at the Golden Globes. Both donned gowns that were covered in shimmering sequins from top-to-bottom. It’s a showstopping look that requires little accessories or styling. A sequined gown speaks for itself.
2. Textured details. Rooney Mara wowed in a textured Givenchy number and we’re seeing the trend carry over into mainstream designers at much more palatable price points. This year look for fringe, woven details and braiding for gowns that pop with dimension. For those who love dark monochrome gowns, these textured details are the thing that make the look fashion-forward. When choosing a gown with textured details, stick to a fitted bodice and slim skirt to prevent a bulky look.
3. Capes. Cate Blanchette and Emilia Clarke both rocked gowns with capes for the red carpet. Capes add dimension to a look when done in a fluttery sheer fabric. The other reason we love ’em? They offer coverage at the arms in a trendy way that won’t make you look matronly. It’s all about proportions with capes, so be sure to wear hair back or up to prevent yourself from getting lost in the look.
4. Red. Once again red was a favorite at the Golden Globes. Both Jennifer Lawrence and Natalie Dormer wore siren red gowns for the awards ceremony. A blue-based red is where it’s at right now. The shade is flattering for all skin tones.
5. White. White gowns have their moment in the sun from time to time and for 2016, the style is back. Taraji P. Henson and Saorise Ronan wore all-white gowns with column silhouettes for a streamlined chic look. A white gown is a good pick for anyone who wants a sophisticated look. Dress it up with major bling a la Taraji’s gilded Stella McCartney bag.
The New Year means trying new workout routines, a few new healthy foods and adding some new wellness gear to our closets. Stay focused and feel strong for 2016 with the latest wellness trends.
1. Juices will become more available. Right now unless you’re in a big city, grabbing ready-made cold-pressed juice can be tough. In 2016, expect to see a major surge in clean, cold-pressed juices. Coca-Cola has invested a whopping $900 million in expanding juice company Suja and smaller juice brands like Moon Juice in LA are set to expand exponentially.
2. The anti-diet diet. 2016 will see the biggest change in dieting as we know it. Many mainstream weight loss programs like Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers are focusing on how consumers feel versus their pant size. This means implementing diet changes that are doable for the long haul.
3. An increase in athleisure. Because wellness is taking over more of our lives than ever before, expect to see a continued increase in athleisure brands and products. People want workout gear that can go to brunch or the library. Many athleisure brands have items priced $75+ and in that price range, people want garments they can wear places outside the gym.
4. All-inclusive wellness spaces. It isn’t enough for a yoga studio to only offer yoga. These days there are yoga studios with small boutiques for clients to shop, a juice or smoothie bar and some even have relaxation spaces for people to chill out before or after class. Expect to see the all-inclusive wellness space for everything from pilates studios to crossfit spots.
5. Wellness creeps into your travel. Yoga classes, pilates, clean food menus and juice on arrival will all start cropping up at hotels and travel facilities in 2016. For awhile we’ve seen this at travel spots aimed for those who live a strict healthy lifestyle and are destination travelers. Now we’ll see these wellness amenities offered at mainstream hotels and resorts for those who want to behave only part of the trip.
6. Nut milks expand. Cashew milk, almond milk, rice milk and coconut milk will reign this year. Soy has received a lot of bad press in the past year and people are sticking to hard science to see what milk is most nutritionally sound for their bodies. The fat in nut milks fill you up and nut milks have substantially less sugar than soy.
7. Diet and workout challenges. Commit to a 3-day liquid cleanse or a 28-day fitness routine and you’ll reboot your bod to feel fantastic. This is the technique man are using already with programs like Barre3’s 28 day challenge which asks customers to commit to 28 days of whole foods and 5x a week workouts. Creating a ritual is a great way to enjoy anything and when we apply this technique to wellness it comes with great results.
1. Mix up textures. Even if you’re one to stick to a monochromatic look for cold weather outfits, up the ante by mixing up textures. Pair cable knit with waffle knit, cashmere with wool and ribbed knits with faux fur for a look that has interest but stays in your fashion comfort zone.
2. Match your hat and gloves. You don’t have to match your hat and gloves, but doing so is an easy way to bring a look together without much guesswork. Those who love to have fun with color will love paprika, cobalt blue and magenta. Not so in love with color? Go for burgundy, fine stripes or camel.
3. Layer without the bulk. We say this every year, but part of dressing well in cold weather means knowing how to layer. Start with a baser layer of a silk or Modal tank top. Add a lightweight long-sleeved shirt, a sweater and then a piece of outerwear such as a coat or cape, depending on how frigid the temperature is. This is the golden rule for layering and allows you to be very warm when your outdoors, but be comfortable once you’re inside.
4. Wear the right boots. Walking on wet streets is no joke. It can result in a major fall if you aren’t wearing the right footwear. Look to gummy soles, lugged soles and boots designed for slick streets. Uggs just won’t do when you are dealing with icy weather and it’s important to remember that before you go outside.
5. Add some brights! Forget the black and gray everyone is wearing and add some serious color to your winter wardrobe with cold weather accessories. Right now there are fantastic sales on everything from pom pom beanies to tech-friendly gloves and faux fur scarves. Bold colors make people smile.
6. Choose chic sunglasses. Your hair may be a mess and buried under a hat, but fabulous sunglasses can take your look from OK to fashion blogger star in seconds. Right now we’re loving colored-reflective shades, round frames and cat eyes — all trends that will carry over into warm weather months.
The short days of winter means lots of time inside. Why not experiment with your beauty routine for the new year with one of the beauty trends for 2016?
1. Skincare-infused makeup. Your makeup sits on your face all day, so it’s no wonder skincare-infused makeup products are taking off. We rather have something that’s moisturizing, tightening and smoothing our skin than something that’s just adding coverage. This year, look for foundations, concealers and powder products with skincare properties that will be good for your skin as you wear the makeup all day long. Our picks: Bobbi Brown Intensive Skin Serum Concealer and Clinique Beyond Perfecting Powder Foundation + Concealer.
2. Metallic shadows. Copper, bronze, pewter or gold — take your pick. 2016 is the year of metallic eye makeup. The awesome thing about this makeup trend is you can truly tailor it to your liking. Most metallic eye shadows are baked shadows, which are easy to use wet or dry. To intensify the hue, dampen a synthetic brush for major shine. Or go easy on the shine by diffusing the color with a fluffy natural bristle brush, which creates a wash of shimmer on the lids. Our pick: MAC Haute Dogs Mineralize Shadow x4 in A Glimmer of Gold.
3. Super thin liner. Bring drama to the eyes with less makeup than ever before thanks to the trend of super thin liner. Coincidentally this is also the easiest liner to apply since an ultra thin brush lets you build up to the look you want without much fuss. A classic tip is to start applying liner from the flick (at the end of the eye) inwards, the finish from the inner rim of the eye to the center. Practice makes perfect with any cat eye, so take it easy on yourself. Our pic: Clinique Pretty Easy Liquid Eyelining Pen.
During sale season, there’s an urge to buy everything you merely like. Stop yourself! Remember you aren’t saving if it’s an item you’ll seldom wear or an item that only fits so-so. Look for both quality and a great price when shopping during sale season. Here’s our list of 10 things to buy during sale season — every piece will do every wardrobe some good.
Bonus: everything in this Cart is at least 40% off. You’re welcome!
1. Standout jackets. A metallic or embellished jacket can take any outfit from OK to downright fabulous. Look for brocade finishes, jeweled details or bold hardware that makes the jacket a statement piece for your look. Our picks: Banana Republic BR Monogram Gold Blazer or Gap Embellished Knit Bomber Jacket.
2. Go-to dresses. We’re talking about those stellar silhouettes that can easily be dressed up or down, for work or the weekends. Look for ponte fabrics, wool blends and structured shapes that travel well. You can pop a standout jacket over a simple look or wear the dress on its own for a day at the office. Our picks: Banana Republic Flutter Sleeve Dress or Banana Republic Shirred Knit Dress.
3. Trendy denim. The world of denim has grown exponentially and the trends are constantly changing. Right now it’s all about a slightly relaxed fit a.k.a. girlfriend jeans with some distressing. The look is easy going and cool, but probably not a classic, so it isn’t something you want to pay full price for! We’re loving light washes to transition to spring. Our pick: Old Navy Boyfriend Skinny Ankle Jeans.
4. That trend you just want to try. It may be paint-splattered pants, a denim jumpsuit or a quirky hat. There are some trends that pop up that we want to try, but aren’t sure how well we can pull them off — which is perfect for sale season shopping. Mix up the all-black look of winter with a hat in a different hue as your trendy piece for the season. Our pick: Old Navy Felt Panama Hat.
5. Maxi dresses. These are the dresses many of us wear again and again throughout the year. Who can say no to a comfortable long dress? We’re always in the mood for that look! Because maxi dresses are worn a lot, they’re washed and dried a lot, which means more wear and tear than your usual garment. Stock up on maxi dresses now so once pool season rolls around you have a fresh crop to choose from. Our pic: Banana Republic Zigzag Maxi Dress.
In the dull winter of January and February, the ritual of wearing a little sparkle becomes more significant because it amps up any look. Our Cart of sparkling extras is chock full of dainty jewelry, impressive baubles and statement-making pieces that are sure to make you smile when you put them on before braving the cold.
Tiny shiny things. Ease into sparkle with small earrings that make a major statement. The Michael Kors Pave Huggie Earrings are perfect for daily wear and bring that perfect dose of glamour to any look. The comfortable shape is easy for traveling or long at the office. For a slight drop earring try the Marc by Marc Jacobs Swarovski Crystal Pave Cabochon Hoop Earrings. The crystal-covered cabachon earrings look great with a bun or ponytail.
Get noticed. Want to have your earrings take centerstage? Try bold colors and sparkling facets with statement earrings that shine. The Bauble Bar Fringe Drop Earrings. A mix of silver, cobalt and gold are perfect for that little black dress you turn to every special occasion. Another option for statement earrings are the Dannijo Willis Rainbow Ear Jackets. The mix of rainbow hues make this a great pair of earrings for party nights out on the town. These are the type of earrings that you can just throw on and go since they do all the talking for your look.
Add a necklace. If you abide by simple tops and jackets, a dash of shine livens up the look. Try the House of Harlow 1960 Sama Horizontal Pendant Necklace for a subtle flash of sparkle at the neckline. Ready for something dramatic? The ABS by Allen Schwartz Pear Statement necklace works wonders for a simple sheath dress or button-up top. It’s a wow-worthy necklace that will have everyone talking. Try it with a turtleneck or with a strapless gown for a formal event.
We kick off the new year with a Cart for Cause! This tribal-inspired Cart for Cause goes to the Inwelle Centre, located in Enugu, Nigeria. This means all proceeds from this Cart will go to the Inwelle Centre, giving everyone a reason to start the new year off right. Choose from bold colors and rich prints with tribal influences for fashion and the home.
The Inwelle Centre is the creation of Dr. Christiana Okechukwu, who oversaw the design and mission of the organization. The Inwelle Centre has been around since 2005 and focuses on serving the youth and women of Nigeria with education, STEM programs and entrepreneurship initiatives. Recently our Mavatar bags were gifted to women of the Ugidi tribe for an event at the Inwelle Centre. Dr. Okechukwu is implementing a solar power program in Nigeria with the help of other scientists and philanthropists. Read more about the exciting solar power project happening in conjunction with Purdue University here.
Shop our Cart for Cause for the Inwelle Centre here! Happy New Year!